When universities and cities partner to solve vexing problems, both bring to bear their unique perspectives and strengths to identify solutions that each on their own could not. Pairing the energy and innovative thinking of university students with the expertise of faculty results in ideas that are both fresh and tested. Add in the wisdom of civic leaders to guide this potent brain trust, and the resulting policy and practice recommendations are original, targeted, and ready-to-implement.
This is the model of UO's Sustainable City Year program. We're wrapping up a year-long partnership with the City of Sisters--and you're invited to join our end-of-year celebration!
Join us on June 1, 2023 at the FivePine Lodge Middle & South Sister rooms for a presentation and open house with hosted snacks and beverages. The event will include student presentations and posters, and remarks from area elected officials.
You're welcome to show up at 3pm for the deep dive presentation on bicycle transportation options and stay for the 4:30-6 overview of the year's partnership, or come for just the 3pm or just the 4:30pm program.
- Doors open 2:45 pm
- 3-4pm: Final poster presentations for the spring term class, Sparking Bicycling Joy in Sisters: Improving Transportation Options
- 4-4:30: reception and poster session; welcome those attending only the 4:30 session
- 4:30-6: Sustainable City Year Sisters End-of-Year Celebration
- Project 1: A New Future for the Sisters Elementary School Site
- Project 2: Sisters Affordable Housing Funding Options
- Project 3: Support for the New Explore Sisters Nonprofit
- Project 4: Creating Community: Adaptive Reuse of the Sisters Elementary School
- Project 5: Co-Living for Changing Families in Central Oregon
- Project 6: Sparking Bicycling Joy in Sisters: Improving Transportation Options
In these presentations, UO students and faculty will share bicycle transportation ideas to better connect areas in and outside the city; architectural design proposals for reuse of Sisters Elementary School to support changing household forms, needs and activities; revenue ideas to fund affordable housing; and strategic support for the newly created tourism nonprofit Explore Sisters.
1021 Desperado Trl
Sisters, OR 97759
Google map and directions